Thursday, October 2, 2014

Response to Ciara's "Is The HPER Doing Too Much."

     As a Wittenberg student and student worker, I think Ciara's article brings up many valid issues. Until recently, I was not aware that HPER Center student workers weren't able to do homework at their job. If I worked my 12 hours a week (an average to light load compared to some jobs) without being able to do homework at work, I probably wouldn't be working 12 hours, or wouldn't be getting good grades in my classes. 
     In fact, I'm typing this entry as I sit in the FLLC right now. There are currently no students needed help with their Spanish and there are also three other Spanish tutors in the center right now. We are all working on homework, but would drop it instantly the minute someone called us over for help. Am I a less dedicated worker because I want to balance my academics with helping people with theirs? Am I not as good of a worker as I should be because instead of cleaning the FLLC and reorganizing our movie collection, I am typing up this blog entry? Dr. Bennett might have some thoughts on that, but effectively, no. 
     I can both be a great tutor and get my work done. In fact, right now, between typing this blog, I am helping a student with her Spanish homework and am judging a game of Manzanas con Manzanas (the Spanish Apples to Apples). Yes, I'm getting paid for maybe not really working, but I am practicing my Spanish and bettering my language skills, which eventually will help my tutoring. When I do homework (which is almost always Spanish as I'm taking 14 credit hours of the language), I consider it making me a better tutor. 
     But even if I wasn't actively improving my Spanish, me doing homework at work shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. Yes, I am a student and my main priority is my academics. Working is just an added benefit that helps me offset the cost of college living. And while I understand the argument that student workers should focus on their jobs, I don't understand why they can't also do their homework during slow periods at work. If students ask me for help while I'm doing homework, I instantly put my homework down and help them. When they say "Sorry, I don't mean to be a bother, but..." I tell them it's my job to help them and that is always a priority. But there are also times where during my five or six hour shifts, I'll only have two or three Spanish students. There must be a more productive way to spend my time than looking at decorations in the FLLC and that is by doing homework. Hopefully the HPER Center work rules won't spread to other areas on campus; I literally can't afford to not work on any homework at work.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment